HYPOGEUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Interview Nunhood vs. Artaud

+4
c13
sumerianhaze666
Oskar Terramortis
Tetragrammaton
8 posters

Go down

Interview Nunhood vs. Artaud Empty Interview Nunhood vs. Artaud

Post  Tetragrammaton Fri May 20, 2011 8:37 am

Sarru mass to the Nunhood!

First of all i would like to thank you all for your time and your interest in Merciful Nuns. It was a pleasure to do an interview directly to you.

See you all,
Artaud

MERCIFUL NUNS - The Interview (GERMAN translation below!!)

[b]
With Merciful Nuns you´ve released the brand new album "Hypogeum II" at the beginning of the year. Are you satisfied with it? Artaud: Indeed, I am very pleased with the album and the positive reaction with which this rather unusual work was received. The debut album Lib.I was incepted by a notion to make music I haven’t heard for nigh enough 20 years. Reminiscent of a time during which I discovered my passion for music. Such an approach naturally lessens the individuality factor, hence it was necessary to further develop the musical aspects of its successor. But how are you going to develop something that generations of Goth Heads already consider as perfect and perceive almost as Dogma? I thought finding and traversing such a path was never going to be easy; though in the end it was just that. It may sound a bit arrogant but ultimately all I had to do was focus on myself, my feelings and perceptions in light of the debut album Lib.I, in conjunction with reflections upon the passage of time from the very beginning of my musical career and let it all flow out pure and unhindered. That’s how Hypogeum II was incepted.

What does the title of the "Hypogeum" mean anyway? Artaud: Its something like a underground temple which you can find in some ancient cultures.

Your music and the whole aura of Merciful Nuns seem strongly influenced by thelema, magick, Aleister Crowley, occult and mainly freemasonry. Even your fanclubs are reffered to as "Lodges" and your fans are named “Nunhood”. Is it just because you like this theme or are you also active in these things? Artaud: Obviously I am fascinated by those themes. But I am defintely NOT an occultist in any way. The NUNHOOD’s goal is the pooling of you out there and for that purpose we endeavour to establish more and more Lodges in Goth-related countries. I’ll be in close contact with these Lodges and will regularly do something special in the respective countries. This may take the form of an interview or perhaps a meeting with us. In the foreseeable future and as soon as time will permit me, a virtual library will be incepted under www.grandlodge.de. Therein I want to offer insight into the subject matter of my lyrics. Only members of NUNHOOD shall be invited to access and enter the www.grandlodge.de. In a sense they become Initiates if they so desire. To answer your question regarding a possible relation to Freemasonry: There is indeed a connection but I wouldn’t attribute too much significance to it; my primary interest in Freemasonry is limited to its visual and coded concepts, no more than that.

In the first decade of Garden Of Delight Babylonian and Sumerian myths were discussed spiritually. Merciful Nuns seems to be a continuation of this decade. Is that correct? Artaud: This has always been an integral part of myself and has nothing to do with any kind of incarnation or transformation into any of my music projects.

What triggered you years ago to explore ancient cultures and the occult? Artaud: My passion for spiritual themes and religion of any kind is based on one fundamental question: Where do we come from? As soon as we delve into this question deeper and liberate ourselves from the idea that everything here on Earth happened through sheer coincidence, we invariably arrive at the conclusion that all forms of religion and faith generally have a common denominator. This common source I call “Ur-Mythos” – archetypal myth in English - the original and pristine faith founded upon time honoured knowledge. Parallels between the early civilisations of ancient Sumer and Egypt, Neolithic cultures, the Maya etc. are convincing and irrefutable; so much so that I find the insularity of localised religion rather incomprehensible. For me, occultism doesn’t even come into the equation, for occultism thrives exclusively in the shadow of Christianity. It is, effectively, a Christian interpretation of evil; and since I categorically reject Christianity as a viable world-theory I could not possibly entertain its interpretation of evil. Most world religions are based on the interpretation of the written word; and herein we find the cardinal flaw! Interpretation is a tool of people for the people. On the one hand it is meant to be simple and easy to comprehend yet intimidating and power preserving on the other. The archetypal myth, however is complex and thus difficult to comprehend. In this sense I much rather pitch the truth as conveyed in more closely related theories against it: Theories, traditions and legends from antediluvian times and in parallel with many of the early civilisations. For example: is it so inconceivable that God could have been an antediluvian astronaut? A traveller, a missionary, a human being far advanced compared to us? In virtually all religious and cultural traditions we find irrefutable evidence for visitations from human-like “teachers” or “Gods”. As I said: a theory… but does anyone really still seriously believe that we are all alone in the great expanses of the cosmos?

According to the myths Annunaki are residents of Nibiru who came to earth - they are described in many ancient cultures. For the year 2012 the return of Nibiru is expected. Do you believe in this? Artaud: No. Granted, credulous people might well be unsettled by current events. It’s true to say that according to the Sumerian tradition the respective orbits of Nibiru and Earth are due to cross paths or at the very least come into close approach of each other. The increasing intensity and number of earthquakes – as prophesied by the Maya – are equally evident. But I feel that too much emphasis is placed on the interpretation of the concluding Mayan calendar in particular. After all, we no longer have a vague but rather a specific date for all conceivable end-of-the-world scenarios and suddenly the proverbial Armageddon is supposed to take place on precisely this particular date? I can’t reconcile myself with such notions. The intersections of both Mayan calendars – the ritual and the long count, similar to our Julian calendar – cross every 52 years. According to the Mayan mindset the world ended every 52 years. All temple structures were destroyed and rebuilt the following day in the wake of the realisation that the world was still there. It was just an integral part of Mayan culture to celebrate the “end of the world” and to commence a new cycle. Having said that, it is nevertheless a fact that on 21.12.2012 their Long Count is coming to an end and will commence at zero once again for the first time in 26.000 years; just as it is true that on that very day for the first time in 26.000 years our star, the Sun, will arrive at the very centre of our Milky Way galaxy. Viewed from an astrological perspective it will be an intriguing day indeed; but surely not the end of the world.

Do you have specific ideas what could happen next year? Will the gods return? What do you think is happening in Japan? Are there coherences? Artaud: As just mentioned, I don’t believe in such a scenario. Whilst the Mayan tradition announces the end of the world with tremendous earth quakes; I still consider the current heavy quakes in Haiti, Burma or Japan as rather coincidental. Equally, I wouldn’t attribute a specific date for the return of the Annunaki from Sumerian cosmology. If we consider the Sumerian year of creation as 3001 BC for the arrival of the Great Ancients, the so called Annunaki, then we have to accept a close enough proximity of Nibiru to Earth in approximately 700 years. We can thus conclude that this theory doesn’t fit either.

The 8 seems to play a central role... The symbol of the Sumerians for Nibiru is associated with the eight-star. There are 8 songs at the albums and 4 at the EP´s. Is there a special meaning? Artaud: Well, we actually find 12 planets in Sumerian cosmology. Accordingly we find 8 songs on each album and 4 songs on the corresponding EP. And we can say that there will be altogether 8 albums and 8 EPs. These are, however, not tied to the Julian calendar, but will be free from any time constraints.

Are there any books you would recommend about the ancient astronaut theories? Except Däniken, he's a fraud! Artaud: Surely Däniken is not a fraud. He develops his often revolutionary theories from the same fundamental questions which drive my inspiration. Some of his notions I find quite interesting and some others wholly absurd. But this can be extended into everything which deals with this particular theme. I wouldn’t want to recommend any particular book or publication because most feature an intriguing concept like for example Robert Charroux’s “Phantastiche Vergangenheit (fantastic past)” or Mel Sangers “2012 – Year Of Project Enoch” but eventually lose themselves in over the top UFO theories or pseudo-american “N.W.O.” (New World Order) world domination claims.

What do you think about Zecharia Sitchin's books, have they been an influence? Artaud: He too offers some intriguing concepts. “The Cosmic Code” or “The 12th Planet” are really interesting books, which I would consider in parts as ground breaking.

Are you a practising thelemite? Do you actually practice magick? Artaud: No. My personal interest in all things Crowley is and was always based on the fact that this man has held a certain fascination for me.

I know you are a books collector, what is your favorite book? What book was hard to get or find? Have you some book with more than 100 years old? Artaud: I do have a few books that are quite old, but that in itself is fairly irrelevant. The content matters. And that I source more and more from the WorldWideWeb.

Garden of Delight, Lutherion and Merciful Nuns, are 3 of your projects that have many things in common but also a few very different, talking about the music. Was that your need as a musician that wanted to try different things, you needed the change for inspiration, or it had to do with personal musical influences at the time? Artaud: I think in a musical sense G.O.D. and Merciful Nuns are not too far apart. The Nuns are basically a reflection upon and return to the old G.O.D. virtues, which I have always held close. Lutherion was a different matter. Herein the urge for musical change was extensive and strong. In principle, I just wanted to do something other than pure Goth. Harder, more Teutonic and perhaps even more commercially viable, which I found difficult to admit; at least to begin with. In hindsight I have to acknowledge that my strengths are better served in the creation of dark, brooding and spherically complex sounds.

What does gothic mean to you except that is a kind of music? Artaud: If you are referring to the musical and cultural roots of Goth, then it means a lot to me. But if I look at what has been done unto it over the years then it doesn’t bear any relation to what once held a deeply rooted fascination for me. In this particular sense I have taken my leave from the scene a long time ago. Bands which are generally associated with the Goth genre nowadays I don’t really like. Worse still, many of them I find even embarrassing. It’s simply too colourful and superficial for my liking. Perhaps it is for that very reason that I felt inclined to write albums – to rekindle that which I felt had been lost. A sense of departure, a renaissance of unexplored musical and spiritual levels. Preserved and transformed from a time before time, even before the Goth genre was defined, when it was still conviction.

What is your opinion about the fact that bands like Evanescence, Him & Marilyn Manson are considered "goth" bands by some part of the music media and the younger fans? Artaud: I don’t have a problem with that. I know what real Goth sounds like – that’s sufficient in itself.

The german goth rock scene of the 90's was a very prominent one with bands like (among others) Love like Blood, the Merry Thoughts, Still Patient?, the House of Usher, Dreadful Shadows, Age of Heaven, Dronning Maud Land, Into the Abyss, Secret Discovery and of course the mighty G.O.D. Most of them have now sadly disappeared. What do you think caused the downfall of the German goth rock scene? Artaud: Most of them bands could not be taken seriously anyway. The only cool band here was Merry Thoughts. Unfortunately Marvin has been and still is rather unproductive. And I doubt whether that will ever change.

Are there any bands that you consider being "close" to the NUNS nowdays? Artaud: I’m afraid not.

I know that you once played "first & last & always" at a gig. Since the sound of the NUNS is close to the early S.O.M. sound, is there any chance to play this cover live again with the NUNS? Any other sisters song? Artaud: No.

Have any members of the Sisters of Mercy given you any shit over Merciful Nuns? Artaud: No. But I can’t believe Andrew will like the Nuns. Even better I am sure he hates it and I like to be hated. (laughs)

Do you think that the early gothic rock could gain its previous glory again? Artaud: You mean if bands like the Nuns could be as famous as Goth bands were in the 80ties? No. If you mean FOTN or the SISTERS will sell as much as in the 80ties? Also no. Real goth nowadays couldn’t be a big thing coz most of the music listeners are more into pop and party orientated tunes. We are completely underground and I love it!

Do you plan to remake some more Joy Division songs? Artaud: I don’t think so. Choosing THE ETERNAL was quit simple: I really like this gloomy atmosphere within the song. And for sure, this song fits perfekt to the sound of the Nuns.

What are the Seth's listening to these days? Would be nice to know what albums are in your and Jawa's player. Artaud: Actually, I like to listen to my own stuff. Jawa has immersed herself again stronger in The Wake. Another band that was gravely underestimated; they were really good. And certainly much better than 90% of what came out of Germany or England in those days. Especially the British consider their Gothic scene as the one true real thing. The only reality behind this truth is that unfortunately hardly any band from the so called second wave exceeded any tangible degree of popularity beyond their local borders. Even worse, not one of those bands would have received a recording contract from us (Dion Fortune Records) because they simply failed to generate any measurable Sales. GOD, Merry Thoughts and later Diary of Dreams generated five figure sales on a global level. The British contingent’s sales were restricted to their very own Island of Goth devotees, yet they thought of themselves as the greatest. This arrogant attitude has always been a thorn in my side.

Would you be interested in composing a soundtrack for an "appropriate" movie/film? Artaud: A few years ago we contributed a track to the OST of Saw 2: Lux Occulta. I could well imagine writing an entire soundtrack.

How important is it for you to be part of a band? Artaud: Very important. Of course its true to say that I play most of the instruments in the studio recordings. But especially Jón’s filigrane guitar play refines the song and makes it complete. Some of the best tracks like Sanctuary, Body of Light or even The Eclipse were incepted in close collaboration with him. And they are surely not the worst Merciful Nuns songs. I am all too aware that the primary focus falls on me, but that doesn’t do Jón and Jawa justice. After all, the three of us have been playing in the same bands for the last 8 and 6 years respectively.

Why you choose to tour with WHISPERS IN THE SHADOW and VENDEMMIAN? This is such a great package! Was it your idea to tour with them? Artaud: Actually, that was Ashley’s (vocalist Whispers In The Shadow) idea; who I know and value for a good number of years. His last two albums are amongst the most fully developed releases in recent years. He initiated the contact to the Vendemmians.

Except WHISPERS IN THE SHADOW there is no other band around these days that deal with the occult and / or the ancient astronaut theme (well there's always the Nephs I know) what made you sing about these subject in the first place? Artaud: My perpetual quest for truth amid the fog of religious distortion. That about sums it up.

What songs can we excpect in april? Artaud: Do you expect me to reveal set lists (laughs)? Expect to be surprised!

Will there be any unexpected surprises? Old GOD Songs you haven't played for at least 10 years? Artaud: That is precisely one of the reasons why I have disbanded GOD! After so many albums and songs we found compiling appealing set lists virtually impossible. Everybody expected their own favourites, alleged single hits and classics. There was no more room for innovation. Of course, the odd GOD classic might well make an appearance in our setlists, but the clear focus is and remains on the Merciful Nuns songs.

But to your music again – how did it feel to play a gig with the great Fields of the Nephilim? Artaud: Ask Carl how it was to play with the Nuns is the only answer I can give.

Which was the most memorable gig ever, and what made it so special? Artaud: Because of their missionary character every single Nuns gig has a great significance for me. This feeling allows for everything to shine in a new light; it carries me on my crusade as messenger of Real Goth through the world. With GOD we experienced naturally some outstanding gigs, of which our farewell gig in Berlin 2008 must rank head and shoulders above the rest.

What is the meaning of "paradise" to you? Artaud: Every place where I feel comfortable can be a self contained paradise. Even though my lyrics are often imbued with themes of the great beyond, I am nonetheless sufficiently awake to recognise the beauty of the here and now. And on that note may I thank the Nunhood for the opportunity of this interview.

Ia sarru mass,
Artaud

Interview by the Nunhood
Translation by Vince Stoos

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

GERMAN translation

Anfang des Jahres veröffentlichten Merciful Nuns ihr zweites Album "Hypogeum II". Wie zufrieden bist Du mit diesem Album? Artaud: Ich bin sehr zufrieden mit dem Album und der durchweg positiven Reaktion die dieses außergewöhnliche Werk ausgelöst hat. Das Debüt Album Lib.I entstand aus einer Laune heraus Musik machen zu wollen, wie ich sie selber seit bald 20 Jahren nicht mehr gehört hatte. Eine Reminiszenz an eine Zeit, in der ich meine musikalische Passion gefunden hatte. Da der Eigenständigkeitsfaktor bei derartiger Herangehensweise naturgemäß nicht sehr hoch war, musste sich das Nachfolgewerk musikalisch weiterentwickeln. Aber wie entwickelt man etwas weiter, was Generationen von Goth heads sowieso schon als perfekt, ja fast schon als Dogma ansahen. Hier einen Weg zu finden war nicht ganz einfach, dachte ich. War es dann aber doch. Auch wenn das hier etwas arrogant klingen mag, ich habe mich schlicht auf mich selbst konzentriert und pur das rausgelassen, was ich im Lichte des Debüt Albums Lib.I und meiner Zeitreise an den Anfang meiner musikalischen Laufbahn gefühlt habe. So entstand Hypogeum II.

Was bedeutet der Titel bzw. was ist das "Hypogeum" eigentlich? Artaud: Das Hypogeum ist ein unterirdischer Tempel, den man in verschiedenen älteren Kulturen finden kann.

Die Musik, als auch die komplette „Aura“ der Merciful Nuns, scheinen sehr stark beeinflusst von Thelema, Magie, Aleister Crowley, Okkultismus und von der Freimaurerei. Sogar Eure „Fanclubs“ werden als Logen bezeichnet und Eure Fans nennen sich die „Nunhood (Schwesternschaft). Warum ist das so? Und daraus resultierend: bist Du ein aktiver Okkultist? Artaud: Offensichtlich faszinieren mich derartige Themen. Aber ein Okkultist bin ich ganz sicher nicht. Das Ziel der NUNHOOD ist es Euch da draußen zu vereinigen. Dazu werden wir mehr und mehr Logen in Goth-Related Ländern gründen. Mit diesen Logen halte ich engen Kontakt und werde regelmäßig in den jeweiligen Ländern irgendwas Besonderes machen. Das kann, wie hier gerade geschehen, ein exklusives Interview, ein exklusives Konzert oder sogar ein Treffen mit uns sein. Demnächst, sobald ich etwas Zeit finde, wird unter www.grandlodge.de eine virtuelle Bibliothek eröffnet werden. In der möchte ich einen Einblick in die thematische Welt hinter meinen Texten bieten. Nur Mitglieder der NUNHOOD werden dazu eingeladen die www.grandlodge.de zu betreten. Sie werden quasi zu Eingeweihten, wenn sie das wollen. Nun zu Deiner Frage ob das Ganze was mit der Freimaurerei zu tun hat. Das hat es sehr wohl. Nur möchte ich das hier nicht allzu sehr überhöhen. An der Freimaurerei interessiert mich primär ihre visuelle und verschlüsselnde Art. Mehr nicht.

Es scheint so, als wären Merciful Nuns eine Fortsetzung der ersten Dekade Deiner Vorgängerband Garden Of Delight, in der Babylonisch-Sumerische Thematiken spirituell behandelt wurden. Ist dem so? Artaud: Das war schon immer ein Teil meiner Selbst und hat nichts mit irgendeiner Inkarnation oder Transformation in eine meiner musikalischen Projekte zu tun.

Woher kommt eigentlich das tiefe Interesse an der Erforschung uralter Kulturen und im speziellen, den Feldern des Okkulten? Artaud: Meine Leidenschaft an spirituellen Themen und Religiosität in jeglicher Form begründet sich auf eine einfache Frage: woher kommen wir? Beschäftigt sich man mit dieser Frage tiefer und löst sich von der Vorstellung das hier auf Erden sei alles Zufall, stellt man unweigerlich fest, dass fast alle Religionen und Glaubensformen einen gemeinsamen Nenner haben. Diese Gemeinsamkeit nenne ich den Ur-Mythos, der erste und einzig unverfälschte Glauben, basierend auf zeitnahem Wissen. Die Parallelen der verschiedensten Frühvölkern wie die der Sumerer, Ägypter, des Neolithiums oder der Mayas sind derart überzeugend und eindeutig, dass ich mich über die Engstirnigkeit lokaler Religiosität nur noch wundern kann. Okkultismus spielt für mich keine Rolle, da der Okkultismus nur im Schatten des christlichen Glaubens lebt. Er ist quasi nur eine Interpretation des Bösen im christlichen Sinne. Da ich das Christentum für mich als Weltentheorie ablehne, kann ich auch nicht an deren Interpretation des Bösen glauben. Die meisten Weltreligionen basieren auf der Interpretation des Wortes das geschrieben steht. Hier liegt der kardinale Fehler! Die Interpretation ist von Menschen für Menschen gemacht. Sie soll möglichst unkomplex und leicht verständlich auf der einen Seite, sowie einschüchternd und machterhaltend auf der anderen Seite sein. Der Ur-Mythos ist aber komplex und für uns Menschen eben schwer verständlich. Ich setze dem lieber der Wahrheit näher kommenden Theorien entgegen. Theorien, Überlieferungen und Legenden die aus einer Zeit vor unserer Zeit stammen und als Parallelen in den meisten Urvölkern vorkommen. Kann es beispielsweise nicht sein, das Gott ein Prä-Astronaut war? Ein Reisender, ein Missionar, ein Mensch der uns nur weit voraus war? In fast sämtlichen religiösen und kulturellen Überlieferungen gibt es eindeutige Beweise dafür, das diese von menschenähnlichen „Lehrern“ oder „Göttern“ besucht wurden. Wie gesagt, eine Theorie. Aber glaubt hier Jemand ernsthaft daran, das wir in den unendlichen Weiten des Kosmos wirklich alleine sind?

Im Zusammenhang mit den Mythen der Annunaki - den legendären Bewohner des Planeten Nibriu, die unsere Erde vor Jahrtausenden besucht haben sollen und angeblich 2012 vor der Wiederkehr stehen – glaubst Du an diese Wiederkehr? 2012 steht auch für mehrere Weltuntergangsszenarien ausgehend vom bald endenden Mayakalender. Könnte da was dran sein? Artaud: Nein. Obwohl ein leichtgläubiger Mensch Aufgrund der aktuellen Geschehnisse sicher beunruhigt sein mag. Es stimmt, das in sumerischen Überlieferungen die Umlaufbahn von Nibriu und der Erde sich bald wieder kreuzen oder zumindest nahe kommen müssten. Und es stimmt auch, das die Häufigkeit und Intensität von Erdbeben – wie von den Mayas prophezeit – zuletzt drastisch zunahm. Aber gerade in das angeblichen Ende des Mayakalenders wird mir zuviel hineininterpretiert. Nun hat man für sämtliche Weltuntergangsszenarios ein konkretes und eben nicht mehr vages Datum. Und plötzlich sollen nun alle Weltuntergänge exakt an diesem Datum stattfinden. Ich halte davon gar nichts. Die Schnittpunkte der beiden Mayakalender – einem Rituellen und dem einer langen Zählung, ähnlich unserem Julianischen Kalender - enden alle 52 Jahre. Nach der Vorstellung der Mayas ging somit alle 52 Jahre die Welt unter. Sämtliche Tempelaufbauten wurden Zerstört und einen Tag später, als man bemerkte, das die Welt doch noch stand, wieder aufgebaut. Es lag schlicht in der Natur der Mayas den Weltuntergang zu zelebrieren um anschließend einen neuen Zyklus zu beginnen. Es ist allerdings richtig, das am 21.12.2012 zusätzlich auch deren „langer“ bzw. die Kombination aus „langem“ und „Rituellem“ Kalender nach 26.000 Jahren erstmalig wieder bei Null anfängt. Und es ist auch wahr, das an diesem Tag ebenfalls nach 26.000 Jahren die Sonne wieder im Zentrum unserer Milchstrasse steht. Aus astrologischer Sicht sicher ein interessanter Tag, aber sicher keiner, an dem die Welt untergeht.

Werden nächstes Jahr die Götter zurückkehren? Wie könnte das aussehen? Siehst Du irgendwelche Zusammenhänge mit den schweren Erdbeben der letzten Monate z.B. in Japan? Artaud: Wie gerade erwähnte, glaube ich nicht an ein solches Szenario. Auch wenn sich im Mayaglaube das Ende der Welt mit großen Erdbeben ankündigt, sehe ich die aktuellen schweren Erdbeben in Haiti, Birma oder Japan als zufällig an. Die Wiederkehr der Annunaki in der Kosmologie der Sumerer würde ich ebenfalls keinem Datum zuordnen wollen. Geht man vom sumerischen Schöpfungsjahr 3001 v. Ch. aus, dem Jahr der Ankunft der großen Alten, den sogenannten Annunaki, so wäre Nibiru frühestens in 700 Jahren wieder Erdnah. Diese Theorie passt also auch nicht.

Die Zahl “8” scheint eine zentrale Rolle in der musikalischen Welt der Nuns zu spielen: es befinden sich 8 Songs auf jedem Album und in der Sumerischen Kosmologie wird der Planet Nibiru als achter Planet bezeichnet. Steckt dahinter eine spezielle Bedeutung? Artaud: Eigentlich sind es 12 Planeten die in der sumerischen Kosmologie auftauchen. Entsprechend befinden sich 8 Songs auf jedem Album, sowie 4 auf der meist zeitnah erscheinenden EP. Und es stimmt, das es insgesamt 8 Alben sowie 8 EPs geben wird. Allerdings sind die nicht auf den Julianischen Kalender ausgelegt, sondern frei von jeglichen Zeitzwängen zu sehen.

Welche Bücher würdest Du über die “Ancient Astronauts” Theorie empfehlen? Jenseits von Däniken, der sicher eher ein Hochstapler ist! Artaud: Däniken ist sicher kein Hochstapler. Er entwickelt aus einer ähnlichen Fragestellung heraus wie ich sie betreibe, eigene und sicher oft sehr revolutionäre Theorien. Manche seiner Ansätze finde ich aber gar nicht so schlecht, andere halte ich auch für völlig abstrus. Das gilt aber eigentlich für alles, was man über diese Thematik findet. Ein spezielles Buch kann und möchte ich hier nicht empfehlen, da viele zwar über eine guten Ansatz wie z.B. Robert Charrouxs „Phantastische Vergangenheit“ oder Mel Sangers "2012 – The Year Of Project Enoch" verfügen, aber dann irgendwann in völlig überzogenen UFO Theorien oder pseudoamerikanischen „N.W.O.“ Weltherrschaftsansprüchen münden.

Was denkst Du über Zecharia Sitchins Bücher? Haben diese Dich beeinflußt? Artaud: Auch er hat ein paar sehr gute Ansätze. „Der kosmische Code“ und „der 12. Planet“ sind wirklich interessante Bücher, die ich in großen Teilen für Bahnbrechend halte.

Bist Du ein praktizierender Thelemit? Praktizierst Du Magie? Artaud: Nein. Mein persönliches Interesse an sämtlichen Crowley Thematiken liegt und lag ausschließlich darin begründet, das der Mann an sich immer schon ein sehr großes Interesse in mir hervorgerufen hat.

Ich weiß, das Du Bücher sammelst. Was ist Dein Lieblingsbuch? Welches beeinflusste Dich am meisten? War es schwer zu finden? Und besitzt Du Bücher die mehr als 100 Jahre alt sind? Artaud: Ich besitze ein paar Bücher die recht alt sind. Aber eigentlich spielt das keine Rolle. Es kommt auf den Inhalt an. Und den hole ich mir mehr und mehr auch aus dem WorldWideWeb.

Garden Of Delight, Lutherion und Merciful Nuns, sind drei unterschiedliche Projekte, die trotzdem einiges gemeinsam haben. Wolltest Du als Musiker mal etwas anderes ausprobieren oder brauchtest Du schlicht etwas Abwechslung um neue Inspiration zu bekommen? Oder gab es persönliche Gründe in jener Zeit? Artaud: Ich denke, das G.O.D. und Merciful Nuns musikalisch nicht allzu weit auseinanderliegen. Die Nuns sind quasi ein Rückbesinnung auf alte GOD Tugenden, die mir einfach schon immer sehr nahe waren. Etwas anders sieht es natürlich mit Lutherion aus. Hier war tatsächlich der Drang nach einer musikalischen Veränderung sehr stark. Im Prinzip wollte ich mal etwas anderes machen als reinen Goth. Härter, deutscher und wohl auch kommerzieller, was ich mir allerdings nicht eingestehen wollte. Zumindest am Anfang. Mit etwas Abstand betrachtet muss ich aber erkennen, das meine Stärken eher auf dem Erschaffen von düsteren und sphärische komplexeren Klängen lag und liegt.

Was bedeutet “Gothic” für Dich? Artaud: Wenn Du die musikalisch-kulturellen Wurzeln des Goths meinst, dann bedeutet mir das sehr viel. Wenn ich dann aber sehe, was daraus in den letzten Jahren gemacht wurde, dann hat das nichts mehr mit dem zu tun, was mich damals fasziniert hat. Insofern habe ich mich schon lange von der Szene verabschiedet. Die Bands die heute für Goth stehen mag ich alle nicht. Schlimmer noch, ich finde die meisten davon sogar peinlich. Das ist mir schlicht zu bunt und oft auch viel zu oberflächlich. Vielleicht habe ich auch gerade deshalb derartige Alben geschrieben um mir selbst ein verloren geglaubtes Gefühl zurückzugeben. Ein Gefühl des Aufbruchs, ein neu Erleben unerforschter, spiritueller und musikalischer Ebenen. Konserviert und transformiert aus einer Zeit vor der Zeit, als Goth noch gar nicht wirklich definiert, sondern eine Gesinnung war.

Was empfindest Du wenn Bands wie Evanescence, Him & Marilyn Manson von Teilen der Presse und auch vielen jüngeren Fans als “Goth” Bands betrachtet werden? Artaud: Ich habe kein Problem damit. Das ist mir egal. Ich weiß wie Real Goth klingt, das reicht.

Die deutsche Goth-Rock Szene der 90er war sehr Erfolgreich. Bands wie Love like Blood, The Merry Thoughts, Still Patient, the House of Usher, Dreadful Shadows, Age of Heaven, Dronning Maud Land, Into the Abyss, Secret Discovery und natürlich die gloriousen G.O.D. waren damals sehr bekannt. Die meisten jener Bands gibt es ja leider nicht mehr. Was denkst Du über den Niedergang der deutschen Goth-Rock Szene? Artaud: Die meisten dieser Bands konnte man doch nicht wirklich ernst nehmen. Richtig cool von denen waren doch nur die Merry Thoughts. Leider ist und war Marvin äußerst unproduktiv. Und ich habe Zweifel, ob sich das noch mal ändert.

Gibt es heutzutage Bands die einen ähnlichen Sound wie die Nuns machen? Artaud: Ich befürchte nicht.

Ich weiß, das ihr früher mal "first & last & always" bei einem Konzert gespielt habt. Der aktuelle Nuns Sound liegt ja sehr nahe bei dem der Sisters Of Mercy. Werdet ihr diesen Song eventuell noch mal performen? Oder einen anderen Sisters Song? Artaud: Nein.

Hat irgendein Mitglied der Sisters Of Mercy sich mal zu den Nuns geäußert? Artaud: Nein. Ich glaube auch kaum, das Andrew die Nuns mögen würde. Besser noch, er würde es hassen. Und ich mag es gehasst zu werden.

Glaubst Du das Goth-Rock noch mal so erfolgreich werden kann wie früher? Artaud: Ob Band wie wir heute so erfolgreich sein könnten wie Goth Bands in den 80ern? Nein. Wenn Du meinst ob FOTN oder die SISTERS heute noch mal so viel verkaufen würden wie damals... auch nein. Echter Goth kann heutzutage kein großes Ding mehr sein, da die meisten da Draußen lieber simple Pop- oder Partyorientierte Musik hören wollen. Wir sind anders, wir sind Underground und ich liebe es!

Gibt es Pläne noch mehr Joy Division Cover Songs aufzunehmen? Artaud: Glaube ich nicht. THE ETERNAL zu covern lag wirklich nahe: ich mag diese tiefe, dunkle Atmosphäre des Originals und kaum ein Songs passt besser zum Sound der Nuns als dieser.

Was hören die Seths in diesen Tagen? Wäre schön zu wissen, welche Alben sich in Euren CD Playern befinden. Artaud: Ich höre tatsächlich gerne mein eigenes Zeugs. Jawa steht aktuell mal wieder verstärkt auf The Wake. Auch eine Band die komplett unterschätzt wurde. Die waren richtig gut! Und sicher besser als 90% von dem, was aus Deutschland oder England zu der Zeit kam. Gerade die Briten halten ihre Goth Szene ja für das einzig Wahre. Das einzig Wahre hinter dieser Wahrheit ist leider, dass kaum eine Band der sogenannten 2. Welle über einen lokale Bekanntheitsgrad hinaus kam. Schlimmer noch, keine einzige dieser Bands hätte bei uns damals (Dion Fortune Records) einen Vertrag bekommen, da sie nahezu keine Verkaufszahlen generierten. GOD, Merry Thoughts und später auch Diary Of Dreams hatten damals 5stellige Absatzzahlen und verkauften weltweit. Die Briten verkauften hingegen ausschließlich auf ihrer Insel der Gothseeligen, hielten sich aber für die Größten. Diese Arroganz hat mich immer schon geärgert.

Würdest Du gerne mal einen Soundtrack für einen Film komponieren? Artaud: Wir haben vor ein paar Jahren einen Song zum Saw 2 Soundtrack beigesteuert: Lux Occulta. Einen kompletten Soundtrack zu schreiben könnte ich mir tatsächlich sehr gut vorstellen.

Wie wichtig ist es für Dich Teil einer Band zu sein? Artaud: Sehr wichtig. Es ist zwar richtig, das ich die meisten Instrumente im Studio selber einspiele. Aber gerade das filigrane Gitarrenspiel von Jón veredelt den Song dann oft erst zur Gänze. Einige der besten Tracks wie z.B. Sanctuary, Body Of Light oder auch The Eclipse entstanden in enger Zusammenarbeit mit ihm. Und das sind sicherlich nicht die schlechtesten Merciful Nuns Songs. Es ist mir zwar durchaus klar, dass der Fokus hauptsächlich auf mir liegt, doch wird das Jón und Jawa absolut nicht gerecht. Immerhin spielen wir drei seit bald 8 bzw. 6 Jahren in den selben Bands.

Wie kam es eigentlich dazu eine Tour mit WHISPERS IN THE SHADOW und VENDEMMIAN zu machen? Das ist wirklich ein tolles Line Up! War es Deine Idee? Artaud: Die Idee hatte Ashley (Sänger Whispers In The Shadow), den ich schon sehr lange kenne und schätze. Gerade seine letzten beiden Alben halte ich thematisch für mit das Ausgereiftste was in den letzten Jahren veröffentlicht wurde. Er hat auch den Kontakt zu den Vendemmians hergestellt.

Ausser den WHISPERS IN THE SHADOW und den MERCIFUL NUNS gibt es wohl kaum eine andere Band in diesen Tagen, die sich mit okkulten Themen und/oder Präastronautik auseinandersetzen (okay, da sind natürlich noch die Nephs). Warum behandelst Du diese Themen in erster Linie? Artaud: Meine immerwährende Suche nach der Wahrheit im Nebel der religiösen Verfälschung. Das trifft es wohl am besten.

Welche Songs werden wir im April erwarten können?? Artaud: Soll ich jetzt hier die Setlisten veröffentlichen (laughs)? Lasst Euch überraschen!

Werden wir unerwartete Überraschungen erleben? Alte GOD Klassiker die ihr seit 10 Jahren nicht mehr gespielt habt? Artaud: Das ist doch genau einer der Gründe warum ich GOD aufgelöst habe! Wir konnten am Ende, nach so vielen Alben und Songs, kaum noch ansprechende Setlisten spielen. Jeder erwartete seine Favoriten, vermeintliche Singlehits oder Klassiker. Da blieb überhaupt keine Luft für Neues mehr. Es kann natürlich immer mal wieder ein GOD Klassiker in der Setlist auftauchen, aber der Fokus liegt ganz klar auf den Merciful Nuns Songs.

Lass uns ein Jahr zurück gehen. Wie fühlte es sich an zusammen mit den großen Fields of the Nephilim ein Konzert zu spielen? Artaud: Frag Carl wie es war mit den Nuns zusammen aufzutreten, ist die einzige Antwort die ich Dir geben kann.

Welcher Eurer Gigs war der, der Euch immer in Erinnerung bleiben wird. Und warum war er etwas besonderes? Artaud: Sämtliche Nuns Gigs bisher haben durch ihren missionarischen Charakter für mich einen sehr hohen Stellenwert. Dieses Gefühl lässt alles im neuen Licht erscheinen und trägt mich auf meinem Kreuzzug als Bote des Real Goth durch die Welt. Mit GOD hatten wir naturgemäß eine ganze Reihe von guten Gigs. Allen voran sicher unser Abschiedskonzert Anno 2008 in Berlin.

Was bedeutet das Paradies für Dich? Artaud: Jeder Ort an dem ich mich wohl fühle kann ein Paradies sein. Auch wenn meine Texte sich oft um Jenseitige Themen drehen, bin ich noch sehend genug um das Schöne im Diesseits zu erkennen. In diesem Sinne danke ich der Nunhood für dieses Interview.

Ia sarru mass,
Artaud

Last edited by Tetragrammaton on Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:46 am; edited 4 times in total
Tetragrammaton
Tetragrammaton
Admin

Anzahl der Beiträge : 33

http://www.MercifulNuns.com

Back to top Go down

Interview Nunhood vs. Artaud Empty Re: Interview Nunhood vs. Artaud

Post  Oskar Terramortis Fri May 20, 2011 9:49 am

Exellent!!!! the interview in spanish will be ready this weekend :-)
Oskar Terramortis
Oskar Terramortis

Anzahl der Beiträge : 198

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Oskar-Terramortis-Official/2011323

Back to top Go down

Post  Tetragrammaton Fri May 20, 2011 10:01 am

Oskar Terramortis wrote:Exellent!!!! the interview in spanish will be ready this weekend :-)

Thanks Mr. Terramortis. Post it here.
Tetragrammaton
Tetragrammaton
Admin

Anzahl der Beiträge : 33

http://www.MercifulNuns.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sumerianhaze666 Sat May 21, 2011 5:20 am

very interesting, very dense and very at the point! Thanks Artaud! Hope, to see you soon again! And the German Lodge wants the translation in Deutsch ;-)
sumerianhaze666
sumerianhaze666

Anzahl der Beiträge : 109

http://myspace.com/383683651

Back to top Go down

Post  c13 Sun May 22, 2011 10:04 am

Very enjoyable interview
c13
c13

Anzahl der Beiträge : 12

http://cathedral13.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Elias socr G Sun May 22, 2011 10:21 am

Very good the interview!!!
Elias socr G
Elias socr G

Anzahl der Beiträge : 22

http://www.myspace.com/mercifulnunsgr

Back to top Go down

Post  Kostas Thu May 26, 2011 5:49 am

An excellent interview with thorough, intriguing and at some point unexpected answers. Thanks to Artaud and the Nunhood for sharing thoughts.
Kostas
Kostas

Anzahl der Beiträge : 60

Back to top Go down

Post  SumerSon Thu May 26, 2011 6:58 am

Thank you for the great interview. Our interest is focused on Merciful Nuns of course but I just hope that there might be more than one G.O.D. songs in the future setlists
SumerSon
SumerSon

Anzahl der Beiträge : 16

https://www.facebook.com/#!/

Back to top Go down

Post  Oskar Terramortis Thu May 26, 2011 10:06 am

NUNHOOD: don´t forget to translate the intie, i´ll post the spanish translation this saturday.
Oskar Terramortis
Oskar Terramortis

Anzahl der Beiträge : 198

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Oskar-Terramortis-Official/2011323

Back to top Go down

Post  Rodthemaninblack Thu May 26, 2011 2:30 pm

Fantastic and insightful interview. Artaud comes across as a very level headed man with a good sense of humour too! Bring on a new album!
Rodthemaninblack
Rodthemaninblack

Anzahl der Beiträge : 13

Back to top Go down

Post  sumerianhaze666 Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:17 am

the translation for the german brothers and sisters is in work :-)
sumerianhaze666
sumerianhaze666

Back to top Go down

Post  sumerianhaze666 Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:14 am

no translation from me..artaud will post a german one..sarru mass!
sumerianhaze666
sumerianhaze666

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down